You're looking for a team where you can drive decisions, be challenged and build a powerful and novel product. You want to collaborate with smart, creative, and energetic people. You’re comfortable with being uncomfortable. You look for projects where you can learn new technologies and techniques. You’re comfortable designing, developing, testing, and launching software. You’re creative. And if this sounds like you, you sound like someone we want on our team.
New Knowledge is on a mission to defend public discourse. We build products that repair online communities, identify manipulation, and help them communicate more authentically. In a world where social media is being manipulated on a massive scale, this is no small task. We care about protecting communities, brands, and companies from being targeted by the spreading of disinformation. The kind of people who work with us have to be passionate about that challenge and mission.
While we take our mission very seriously, we are also a team of fun-loving, laid-back, self described geeks who love tacos and topo chico.
We are looking for junior engineers with an interest in working on our data pipeline. The best candidates will have an interest in the state of the art stream and batch processing architecture and a strong desire to grow skills in this area.
What you’ll work on
- Work as part of a team to design, develop and maintain New Knowledge’s data pipeline
- Support and monitor pipeline performance in production
- Create and maintain documentation capable of describing how the pipeline work to non-technical audience
- Work as part of a team to integrate new services into New Knowledge’s data pipeline using tools like Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, PostgreSQL and more.
These are not hard requirements or an exhaustive list. Consider this an outline to give you a better understanding of what you’ll be doing. We expect a junior engineer to meet at least half of these requirements and be comfortable and excited to learn the rest
- Experience or familiarity plugging processes into Kafka or similar distributed systems
- Experience or familiarity with popular stream processing framework such as Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams, Flink or similar
- Experience supporting or writing batch analytics (relational and/or hadoop ecosystem)
- Experience working with, configuring or supporting workflow automation/coordination tools like Airflow or Luigi
- Understanding of how to evaluate data model, database indexes and how to evaluate a SQL query performance
Other notable skills
- Ability to monitor current solution to understand its limits and stay ahead of business needs
- Work with senior engineers to research, prototype and implement new services and tools
- Comfortable in a role where you will be constantly learning and working as a part of a team doing things no one in the company has done before
Who you are
- 1+ years professional software development
- Experience with gathering/analyzing social media, text and image data is particularly relevant
- Highly motivated to research, prototype and implement state of the art data pipeline in partnership with a team of engineers
- Comfortable with knowing what you do not know and asking for help or finding your own answers when required
Why we love working here
- Competitive salary, 401(k) matching, and Fortune 500 level healthcare
- We are a business that trusts and embraces technology and harnesses it for good. We embrace diverse ideas, autonomy and collaboration
- Professional development opportunities–– we host lunch and learns, hold weekly 1-1’s, and have a policy where you can expense professional development books
- A diverse leadership team that wants to uphold ethical practices in our software development process
- A strong commitment to creating a diverse environment
- Free parking in our building in downtown Austin
- Free access to a gym in our office building
- A $2,000 annual credit that you can spend on the technology and work gear of your choice
- Parental leave (plan with your manager) and unlimited vacation (and no, that is not code for you never take a vacation, we encourage and value time off)
- Weekly catered lunches and a stocked kitchen full of fruit, energy bars, popcorn, coconut water, and other healthy snacks